The RBC Race for the Kids supporting CHEO takes place Sunday, September 15 at beautiful Wesley Clover Parks. Courses include a 10K and 5K all-terrain…
Stocks and Securities
Donating appreciated stocks or mutual funds is the most tax-effective way to make an outright gift during your lifetime or as part of a legacy gift.
When an individual sells an appreciated stock or mutual fund they are required to pay tax on 50 per cent of the capital gain. However, thanks to the Federal Budget of May 2006, if they donate the appreciated securities to charity, they pay no capital gains tax.
Benefits of making a gift of securities to the CHEO Foundation
- A charitable tax receipt will be issued for the fair market value of the securities
- No capital gains tax owing if gifted to a public charity
- Satisfaction of seeing your donation put to good use
- An ‘un-needed’ asset is removed from your portfolio and converted to a charitable gift
- Opportunity to create a lasting charitable legacy through estate planning
How to Give
Transferring your appreciated securities to the CHEO Foundation is easy. Please complete our step-by-step instructions in the Securities Gift Form (PDF document) and give to your broker to complete the transaction.
Please contact Marc Belanger at 613-738-3691 or by email at [email protected] with any questions you may have.
The CHEO Foundation recommends that you consult your legal and financial advisor in any matter concerning estate and legacy giving. All inquiries are treated in the strictest of confidence. The CHEO Foundation does have printed materials available to help guide you and your professional advisor.